2014 Pork Purchase Deposit
Bread Riot is thrilled to announce that we are now hiring for a part-time (approx 30 hours per week) Executive Director! Below is the job description and details for submitting applications. Pass the word!
Executive Director, Bread Riot: Local Food Advocacy
Bread Riot, a non-profit local food advocacy group located in Rowan County, NC, is seeking to hire a part-time executive director (approx 30hrs/week) to lead and grow our organization. Bread Riot is searching for a hands-on, creative, cooperative, and determined individual who can strengthen and secure the future of a healthy local food supply in our area. Bread Riot aims to cultivate a thriving local economy by facilitating a supply of locally produced food, utilizing sustainable farming practices and focusing on whole-life issues, education, and environmental concern.
This individual must exhibit an inherent passion for local foods and for the growth of the movement in the community. This includes building on current demand for local food while encouraging area farmers to contribute to the local food economy. The executive director must also grow and support existing programs like Riot in the Pasture, Winter Harvest, Bulk Meat Purchases, Movie Screenings, while creating new programs that correspond to Bread Riot's mission and goals. Additionally, this person will be responsible for fulfilling Bread Riot's contractual and organizational commitments, including serving as Market Manager for the Rowan-Salisbury Farmers Market. The director must also be effective in coordinating and communicating with the Board, volunteers, interns, and local community stakeholders like North Carolina Cooperative Extension, Catawba's Center for the Environment, the Rowan-Salisbury Farmers Market, Land Trust, and others in the region.
- To support the local foods movement and local farmers
- To increase supply while encouraging demand in the region
- Grow and support existing programs while creating new opportunities
- Serve as Market Manager for Rowan-Salisbury Farmers Market (additional description available)
- Work with farmers, Board, customers, and other vendors to expand the farmer's market activity
- Reports directly to and works with the Board of Directors
- Recruit, manage and coordinate interns and volunteers
- Identify potential grant opportunities and write grant proposals, manage grant awards & reporting
- Attend community events and build relationships on behalf of Bread Riot and the Rowan-Salisbury Farmers Market
- Publicly represent Bread Riot and the Rowan-Salisbury Farmers Market in the regional and state food movement
- Experience and familiarity in the local food movement, how about familiarity with Rowan County or NC
- Cooperative spirit and ability to work independently, set and meet goals; self-starter
- Ability to lift, squat, perform physical tasks
- Experience in management and marketing
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Experience creating and managing electronic marketing, social media, and communications
- Grant writing experience and knowledge of the non-profit sector a plus
- Must be present during hours of Rowan-Salisbury Farmers Market operation
- Must have available transportation
Bread Riot provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Bread Riot expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
Are you interested in learning more about Aquaponics/Hydroponics? Maybe alternative energy for farm and home? Or maybe just love to hear from leading local food advocates and eat deliciously prepared locally sourced food - well if any of that sounds appealing to you, don't miss the upcoming Upper Pee Dee Farm and Food Council's Farm and Food Fest 2014!
Our friends to the east in Anson, Montgomery and Stanly counties formed this exciting organization whose vision is a sustainable, locally-based, economically-resilient farm and food system. You may ask, "What is a farm and food system?" Here's what they are on their website- A farm and food system is a network of people, organizations, associated government and non-government institutions, and activities connecting the growing and harvesting, processing, aggregation, distribution, consumption and residue utilization of food and other farm products.
Bread Riot supports their vision and wishes to help spread the word about their upcoming Farm & Food Fest event. If you're free - make plans to attend. Details and links to buy tickets are below.
The Bread Riot is coordinating another Bulk Pork purchase pick up on November 15, 2014 delivery.
Pastured pork available from Bame Farms
$155/share (Bulk price of $5.50/lb., approximately 28 lbs./share)
Includes the following cuts: Shoulder Roast, bone-in pork chops, spare ribs, bratwurst, Italian sausage, hot country sausage, mild country sausage, neckbone
8 shares available